How to created custom entity?

As far as Pipedrive API is providing custom fields, can we create custom entities for lookups?
For example we have entity Office, which is represented, let’s say, as Deals’ custom field with multiple options. What if we need lookup consistency across all entities (users, organisations, persons, etc.)? We do not really want to create multiply custom fields “Office” for each existing entity, but wish to use custom field referencing to lookup entity.

Hi @ab1

I’m not sure if I completely understand the question. If you create a Deal Custom Field, this field would then be available for every Deal, and if it it is a Single/Multiple Option Field, the IDs for the values will be universal across all Deals for this Field.

Try to extrapolate it to multiple entities (organisations, persons, users) and you will have many custom fields with similar options.
The question is your system is flexible enough to support custom entities or referential (lookup) custom fields

Try to extrapolate it to multiple entities (organisations, persons, users) and you will have many custom fields with similar options.

Yes, the same Single/Multiple option Fields will offer the same values for all Orgs, People, Deals it is attached to, but I don’t see why this would be an issue as you can always add more options to them.

The question is your system is flexible enough to support custom entities or referential (lookup) custom fields

Can you explain what exactly you mean by “custom entities” and in what you plan to use “referential (lookup) fields”? This is where I don’t understand your question.

For example you have bunch of custom field with field type user.
All of them are useless if user is associated with company employee which may not have licence in Pipedrive. As a result we have to redesign all these custom fields to enum/set with options duplicated across all of these custom fields. As a result, big company have to keep thousands duplicated records in these options and update them constantly. As a result we may be hit by hidden limitations of Pipedrive any moment.
The alternative option is to create custom entity Employee where we can provide as one dataset and reference to other custom fields as ref to employees.
I do not know why I have to explain so obvious things. Your architects are paid big money for that.

We don’t support that kind of custom entity at the moment.
If I understand what you need, you’ll have to create your own integration for that, and create in Pipedrive custom fields of type string to keep the reference id of the entity in your system (or simply keep both ids on your side).

1 Like

Thanks dani,
That is clear.
The other question I have to ask - If custom field has referential type to user and we have limited list of users who are licenced to Pipedrive.
Can we add unlicensed users in that list to be able to pick up them from custom fields by reference?

just realised that that custom fields with type user do not expose nonactivated users in the drop down list. Which makes that type useless :(.